Last year was definitely the year of race-cations. I feel like I was all over the place (because I was!) This week’s DC Trifecta link up topic is 5 Trips so I’ll share (again lol!) some of the places I visited last year (and some places I plan to visit this year 🙂 )
1. I still can’t believe I ran a 1/2 marathon in Madrid, Spain. Sometimes, I look at that album and seriously am shocked that that happened. But it did and it was absolutely amazing. I recapped the race here but some memorable things from the race were
-how awesome it was to be half way around the world and be able to speak the language. Both my husband and I are fluent Spanish speakers 🙂
-how plastic water bottles were given at each water station. Bottled water is so expensive in Europe that as soon as I saw a PR was nowhere near possible, I started hoarding water bottles and ran with one in each hand the entire way lol!
-how there were ZERO porta-potties. Men just pulled up to the side and did their thing but the women had to find a restaurant or shop to use the bathroom!
Madrid was our first stop in our Europe tour and we started off with a bang
2. When I got back from Europe, I decided to cross the Grand Canyon twice lol! Doing Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim was such an incredible experience. I had never been to the Grand Canyon and to go and do that was amazing. I recapped the double crossings here and here.
The Grand Canyon is a must see if you’re Arizona and if you’re planning on visit, why not cross the whole thing? 🙂
3. My bucket list marathon was the Marine Corps Marathon in our nation’s capitol, Washington, D.C. I’m a big history buff so running a race there would unite to of my passions: running and history. I wrote about this race and how it met ALL of my high expectations here (and a little more here). The cherry on the top of this race last October was also meeting my BRF Salt ❤ The day couldn’t have been better.
4. I mentioned just last week how I plan on going to Cincinatti, Ohio to run the Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon.
This race is special because it will by my brother’s first half and I NEVER thought he’d run a half marathon. Ever. I’m so pumped about it, I can’t even explain it lol! Just this past weekend he texted me a pic of his 7 miler. I’m so ridiculously proud of him.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about this race and you bet I’ve checked out the elevation chart–I’m ready for you hills! (well not really, but yeah)
5. Finally, my fall marathon this year will be in……CHICAGO!! My run club is organizing a group to run the Chicago Marathon and my husband and I have put our names in the lottery–all our fingers are crossed we get in.
I’m still gunning for a sub 4:30 and I’m hoping, hoping, hoping it happens in Chicago. If not, I plan on
maybe trying ONE MORE TIME in Phoenix Spring 2016 and if it still doesn’t happen, I’m putting up my marathon running shoes for a while. Marathon training is no joke and this momma is TIE-ERD.
So, there you have it! Some places I’ve been ridiculously lucky to visit and two that I’m super pumped to check out this year.
–Where have you traveled to run? Do you have a favorite place?
–Where is your dream race-cation?
Good luck to Sue@ThisMamaRunsForCupcakes who is running a marathon in PARIS, FRANCE this weekend!!!