One of the things I’ve been loving about blogging is finding other blogs to read. I’m not sure if it was because Colby and Tina commented on a post I wrote or if they commented on my fave, Salt’s blog at one point, but the girls that are It’s A Marathon AND A Sprint are one of my favorite finds.
Last week when I wrote about the awesomeness that is Janji, it was because I had discovered the company through their blog. I love blogs that are informative, honest, humorous, and written by people who care about what they write. You see this in every post Tina and Colby publish.
So it was such a great surprise to find out they nominated me for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award! Surprising because they’re the ones that inspire—not only with their running talents but with the way they write. I’m an English teacher and writing is my thing, so when I read good stuff from good people it makes me want to be a better writer. Thank you Colby and Tina for being such awesome people and considering me for this award.
- Thank and link to the person who nominated you
- List the rules and display the award
- Share seven facts about yourself (I know, I know. MORE stuff about Helly???)
- Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated
- Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you
Alright, I’ll try and make this short and sweet 🙂
1. I don’t like the distance number stickers people put on cars. Nothing against people who do, it’s just not my style. And it’s not just the distance stickers, I’m not a fan of putting any type of bumper sticker thing on my car. You won’t find a stick figure family on the back of my Chevy.
2. I also don’t snot rocket. Again, it’s just not style. Most of the time, I carry a small hand towel or a Runningluv type thing to wipe snot from nose and if all else fails, I’m okay with using my shirt. Gross maybe, but I think snot rockets are grosser.
3. I loved wrestling growing up. My brother and I were huge fans of the World Wrestling Federation (now known as WWEntertainment). I grew up watching Ravishing Rick Rude, The Million Dollar Man, The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels, Bret the Hitman Hart, the Ulimate Warrior, Mr. Perfect, and of course Hulk Hogan. I even went to a few live ones and let me tell you, it was pretty amazing.
I stopped watching shortly after the Stone Cold Steve Austin era ended and when I no longer could smell what The Rock was cooking.
4. My high school job was working at a saddle shop. I wore boots and Wranglers and sold western clothing and cowboy hats. I listened to country music all day and hung out with the the guy who made saddles. It was so cool to see something beautifully handmade begin from just a scrap of leather.
If I ever do a 50 mile race it would be this one only because of the awesome buckle you get when/if you finish.
5. I don’t like soft ice cream. Ice cream from Dairy Queen just doesn’t do it for me. I’m more of a Baskin Robins or Cold Stone type of gal. My favorite flavors are chocolate, chocolate chip, and sherbet. I may even get all three together 🙂
6. Getting lost is my thing. When I was young, I’d always somehow stray away. On summer vacations, it became a running joke that my family would lose me. I got lost at Disneyland one year, at the beach another year, and at our State Fair one October. Luckily all three times I was found pretty quickly.
One time, in my sleep, I rolled off the bed and then somehow ended underneath it! All while still asleep! My parents freaked and even called the police but there I was, snoozing under my bed.
7. I love American history. I know that a lot of people like traveling abroad because of so many historical attractions and don’t get me wrong, I love to do that too, but I love learning about our own country’s beginnings. I’m so pumped for the Marine Corps Marathon because it will be my first time in D.C.
As a teacher, I teach freshman, sophomores, and juniors and I love teaching juniors the best because it’s all American literature. I get to read the The Crucible, Edgar Allan Poe, and The Great Gatsby all day. Heaven.
My nominees (in no particular order):
1. Confessions of an Amateur Athlete
2. The Running Schlub
3. Blog About Running
4. Run Away With Me
5. So Very Slightly Mad
6. This Mama Runs For Cupcakes
7. Black Dog Runs Disney
9. Little Green Running Shoes
10. The Little GSP
11. Life Between the Miles
12. Piper’s Run
13. Running on Healthy
14. Slacker Runner
15. Running Vegetarian
Please check out these awesome blogs!
–What are some good blogs you’re following nowadays?
–Thoughts on my random facts? Wanna share one?
If you’re in the states, I hope you have a great 4th of July tomorrow!!
You have JUST made my long weekend even more fantastic! Thank you for the very kind words. To have anyone use the word “inspirational” when referring to our blog is simply wonderful. I certainly can say the same about you! Congratulations Helly! 🙂
You’re awesome. That’s all. 🙂
Helly!!! We have so many things in common! I would never put stick figures on the back of my car OR snot rocket AND I watched wrestling growing up too! PLUS when I was a kid I used to roll off my bed and end up on the floor really often, haha. My dad said he would come in and put me back on the bed when he was leaving for work, lol. I must have been a sleeping champ because I hardly ever woke up during this process! haha
Jajaja!!! I love it!!
Aww thanks! I loved reading this. I am still cracking up about rolling under the bed. I can somewhat understand. I once took a friend on a bike ride in iur small town to get ice cream. I took us on a “short cut” through the woods and we were lost for hours. I thought it was hilarious. He did not!
Right! Sometimes getting lost is fun! 😀
Yeah, so I’m also anti-snot rocket! With my luck it would end right back on me anyway so BIG fail there. I’m also a big American History freak as well but didn’t know it UNTIL I went to DC a few years ago. You are going to LOVE it!!! Thanks so much for the blog love!!!! XOXO
I’m so excited for D.C.!!! Can’t wait!!
And if I attempted to snot rocket it’d def land on me for sure!! lol!
I love that we both did this today!!! ❤ You're the best and we need to plan a big blog GTG with Colby and Tina. And unicorns.
Good stuff! I love Colby and Tina! I also LOOOVE history. I drive friends nuts whenever we travel and I have to see all the historical stuff. Speaking of which – when I visited Baltimore a few years ago I had to go the bar where Poe was last seen alive (he died on the way home from it). Boom!
So very awesome!!!! On my very extensive list of places I want to go! (it’s a very long list lol!)
Thank you soooo much for the nomination. Honestly I didnt know what to expect when you told me to come over and take a look lol. Also, I dont know if you should come and read my blog anymore now that I know your an English teacher, I’m sure the red pen run out of ink proof reading my writing.
FYI in my own world I am #2 on the list so I am claiming that I am Helly on the Run’s #2 favorite blog lol.
Gotta give some love to my AZ peeps!! (the first blog is also written by an AZ native 🙂 )
I am with the anti- snot rocket crew..so gross! I have never watched wrestling, I am a Nascar gal at heart lol I am with Richard, I always get nervous to think a teacher may read my blog. I would have red pen everywhere, I tend to write like I talk 🙂
That’s how you should write in your blog! 🙂 No worries, no red pen from me
I hate those stick figure families! Though I can’t say the same for other stickers…I have 3 running related ones on my car (none with numbers though) 🙂
I’m completely with you on the soft ice cream thing. I’m not even a big ice cream person in general, but if I am going to eat it, Cold Stone is pretty much the best ever.
Thanks for nominating me =)
I don’t do the snot rocket thing either I wouldn’t know how and don’t want to learn. It also makes me avoid running near men in races, lol.
I have distance magnets on my car. I don’t like the idea of stickers mucking up my bumper, but considering my bumper recently got smashed by another runner’s car, I guess it doesn’t matter.
Thanks for the nomination! I find your blog inspiring. You whole canyon trip intimidated the heck out of me, but also made me think, “maybe one day…”
Definitely put it on your “to do” list!!!
Helly! Thank you so much for nominating me. You are such a sweetie. I love reading your adventures and learning from you. Thanks for sharing! XOXOX
Congrats to you because you ARE awesome and thank you so much for nominating me! ❤
Thank you! And you’re welcome 🙂
Yay thanks for the nomination! Your blog is so inspiring too – every time I think about scary trail running is I think about your recent trail runs and I get inspired! I hope we can run together in Alaska someday!
Pingback: VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD |